CBA September Field Trips and events

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Fri Aug 27 20:21:50 EDT 2010

Sunday September 5, 2010, 10 AM
(Rain date Sept. 6)
 Haley Farms, Groton
Leader: Richard Chyinski  860-859-1326
Meet at Haley Farms.

Search an abandoned 260 acre farm- lots of fields and reverting pastures with
shrubby edges. Species seen on past trips include: Ocola Skipper, Fiery Skipper,
Leonard’s Skipper, and Cloudless Sulphur. This is one of the best spots to find
late season species. Easy to moderate walking. Wear sturdy walking shoes, bring
water and sunscreen.

Directions:From I-95 exit 88, go south on Rte. 117 for 1.1 miles, left on Rte.1
for 1 mile, right on Rte.215 for 0.6 mile, right on Brook St. for 0.5 mile,
right on Haley Farm Rd. for 0.1 mile to park entrance.

Saturday September 18, 2010, 9 AM
Monarchs at Hammonasset State park
Leader: Rich Chyinski 860-859-1326

CBA sponsored Monarch tagging at Meigs Point Nature Center, Hammonasset State
Park in Madison. Bring a net and help capture, tag and release Monarch
butterflies to aid in the gathering of data on migration habits and travel
routes. Kids are welcome but must have adult supervision. There will be a few
nets available for those who do not have one.  Park entrance fee may still be in
effect.

Directions:  From the north/east: take I-95 south to Exit 62, then turn left off
the exit. Head south 1 mile down Hammonasset connector, go straight through the
light crossing Rte. 1 (Boston Post Road) into the park.

From the south/west: take I-95 north, Exit 62. Take a right off the exit ramp
onto Hammonasset I-95 connector. Park entrance will be 1 mile ahead.

Save the date!
Sunday September 26, 8 AM til 3 PM
Rain or Shine
Migration Festival at Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven

Enjoy the butterflies, hawks, and other migrating critters that pass through
this area every fall.  Falconry demonstrations by Sky Hunters in Flight, Monarch
tagging, Antique Carousel rides, Lighthouse tours, bird walks.  Entrance is
free; donations will be accepted.  See attached schedule.