Connecticut native plant nurseries

Wyse, Chris chris.wyse at windriver.com
Fri Aug 27 22:13:42 EDT 2010

Hi,

I try to stick to local plants as much as I can.  Sometimes it requires
hunting around the internet - you definitely need the scientific name to
be sure what you're getting.  However, I differ from Carol - I always
look for a cultivar.  To me, that gives me the best of both worlds - I
make sure I get the right species, but I get the properties that I want.
For instance, I plan on purchasing New York Ironweed (Veronia
noveboracensis), the 'Richard Simon' cultivar, which is a dwarf variety
(only 4').  I've also purchased Pearly Everlasting - 'New Snow'
(Anaphalis margaritacea 'New Snow') from an online vendor, as a larval
food source for American Lady butterflies.

I've been to Broken Arrow - it has a wide selection with a lot of local
plants.  The have a large collection of Kalmia (mountain laurel)
varieties - I believe that one of the top breeders is an owner or
somehow associated with the nursery.

There are two good online sources to determine whether or not a plant is
native to the area.  Uconn hosts a database at
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/ <http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/>  .
The Connecticut Botanical Society also does a great job,
http://ct-botanical-society.org/ <http://ct-botanical-society.org/>  .
If you're picky like I can be, and only want Connecticut native plants,
these sources are indispensible.  Many nurseries will sell native
plants, meaning they're native to the northeast, or native to the east
US, so if you want Connecticut natives, make sure you check.

Chris Wyse
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Embedded Technologies
860-978-0849 cell/office