Silver-bordered Fritillary in Durham

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sat Jul 3 16:51:03 EDT 2010

On Saturday July 3rd, I was visiting Durham Meadows, one of my  stops on
the Meriden 4th of July Butterfly Count, when I noticed a  small fritillary
land on a nearby flower.

My initial assumption was that it was a Meadow Fritillary, a resident
species at the site.  Nonetheless, because it was a 4th of July Butterfly  Count
and a brutally slow day for butterflies, I decided to waste some time and
study it with my binoculars.

As soon as I got focused on this fritillary, I realized that it had broad
black borders on the upperside of the forewings and numerous silver spots on
the  underside... this was no Meadow Fritillary, it was a Silver-bordered
Fritillary.

A short time later, I found a second Silver-bordered Fritillary in a
different section of Durham Meadows.

If you want to look for them, check the area between the airfield for model
 airplanes and the white hut inside the chain link fence.  There were
probably more than two individuals present but I was running out of time and
didn't want to spend more time at the site.

I recall Peary Stafford reporting Silver-bordered Fritillary from a site
where they haven't been seen for many years.

I wonder if this species is staging a mini invasion of CT.

Sincerely yours,

Lenny Brown
Wallingford