Macricostas 7/8

Peary Stafford pstaff at pipeline.com
Thu Jul 8 20:23:31 EDT 2010

Today between 5:15 and 6:15 at the Macricostas Preserve I saw:
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Spicebush Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Great Spangled Fritillary
Pearl Crescent (a large number of very fresh individuals)
Baltimore Checkerspot (5)
Eastern Comma (4, aggressively defending territory in the nettles)
Red Admiral
Common Wood-Nymph (lots)
Monarch (7, 4 mated)
Silver-spotted Skipper
Least Skipper
Northern Broken-Dash
Little Glassy-wing
Mulberry Wing (FoY probably 10, more than I've seen in all the years
at Macricostas put together.  Must have to do with the great crop of
Swamp Milkweed)
Black Dash (FoY)
Dun Skipper

As a side note, last Sunday in the late afternoon at the Hidden
Valley Preserve we had probably 8 Northern Pearly-eyes and maybe 20
American Coppers.

Peary