5 GIANT SWALLOWTAILS ++

semismart9 at aol.com semismart9 at aol.com
Mon Aug 1 17:40:25 EDT 2011

On Monday, August 1st. Greg Hanisek and I went to Falls Village and Canaan in northwest Connecticut, to look for Giant Swallowtail Butterflies. WE WERE SUCESSFUL. We found a total of 5 individuals at the following locations...

On Paige Road ... 2 individuals feeding on the Joe-Pye weed
On Sand Road near the limestone quarry ... 2 individuals feeding on Bergamot
On Bragg Street ... 1 individual feeding in a family's flower garden.
Digiscope pictures were obtained.

Life butterflies for both Greg and me.

In addition to the above, we found the following:

Spicebush Swallowtail... 1
Black Swallowtail... 1
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail... 5
Cabbage White... 5