Giants

Peary Stafford pstaff at pipeline.com
Sun Aug 7 09:31:02 EDT 2011

	BK and I went to Canaan this weekend as well and found 8 Giants in
various places, some in rather worn condition and some looking
absolutely pristine, like they had just eclosed.  I must admit that
the whole process leaves me a bit mystified.
	How do these irruptions occur?  Is there some set of climatic
conditions that push some individuals North who miraculously find
each other, mate, and produce a new second brood?  That might explain
the large numbers that are flying in rather disparate parts of CT
right now, but does seem a little far-fetched.  Does anyone know if
there is a similar irruption in other parts of New England?
	I'd be fascinated if someone could point me to any work that's been
done on this type of phenomenon.  We had a similar irruption of
Milbert's Tortoiseshell at Steep Rock a number of years back that
left me wondering as well.
Peary