Looking for black swallowtails, and red admirals

cappaert at comcast.net cappaert at comcast.net
Mon Aug 8 12:43:38 EDT 2011

Hello:

I've let the list know that my goal at our environmental science magnet school's greenhouse is to focus on maintaining at least 3 native species: Monarchs, Cabbage whites, Red Admirals, Black swallowtails.

The first 2, no problem. Admirals: I tried a month ago to collect larvae from stands of abundant nettles, but found that predation/parasitism (both tachinids and wasps) was almost total. I could not establish a founding population.

Black swallowtails I began a while ago with a set of eggs I obtained from Maryann. I reared to adult, obtained eggs, but those have not emerged. It may have to do with my having been gone for the last 2 weeks. (Maryann - note that your cecropia caterpillars have developed well, are near pupation).

I know that the black swallowtails in particular are sometimes found in large numbers on garden umbellifers. If you know of such a situation, I would go anywhere in CT to collect some.

Thanks, David, Mary Hooker School, 734 635-7750.