Volunteers needed to study the breeding season movements of monarch butterflies

Tyler Flockhart dflockha at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jan 13 23:38:21 EST 2011

Dear Butterfly enthusiasts:

My name is Tyler Flockhart, I am a PhD student at the University of Guelph and I study the population dynamics of monarch butterflies. This coming summer I will be studying the movement of monarchs throughout the breeding season at sites across eastern North America and I am soliciting volunteers for two projects.  The first project looks at how monarchs re-colonize the breeding range in the spring while the second looks at movement throughout the entire breeding season and early fall. Information from these projects will be used in population models to determine how monarch populations grow during the breeding season.  Ultimately, this is one of the key pieces of information needed to guide conservation planning for monarchs.  Volunteers would receive sampling instructions, storage envelopes, and datasheets to record their information. Please contact me privately at dflockha at uoguelph.ca or 519-265-7833 if you are interesting in volunteering or have further questions about these projects; I can send you a poster than explains each of the projects and time commitment each one requires.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Tyler

D.T. Tyler Flockhart
Dept. Integrative Biology