Butterfly sightings- Steep Rock Reservations

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 07:51:18 EDT 2011

On Friday, 7/1, Steve Rosenthal and I visited the three Steep Rock
Reservations in Washington and New Preston, respectively.

At Macricostas Preserve, New Preston, where we met Peary and BK Stafford
and Deane Bowers, we found

Black Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (6)
Clouded Sulphur (2)
Orange Sulphur (6)
Bronze Copper (1)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (1)
Summer Azure (4)
Great Spangled Fritillary (10)
Baltimore Checkerspot (1) (my first of the year)
Eastern Comma (3)
Mourning Cloak (1)
Red Admiral (2)
Viceroy (1)
Monarch (7)
Silver-spotted Skipper (2)
Least Skipper (2)
European Skipper (1)
Peck's Skipper (1)

At Hidden Valley Preserve, Washington, we found

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1) (A very fresh individual from the summer
brood, not a worn hybrid from the May-June brood)
Cabbage White (3)
Banded Hairstreak (4)
Summer Azure (3)
Great Spangled Fritillary (5)
American Lady (1)
Northern Pearly Eye (2)
Little Wood-Satyr (1) (Very fresh individual from the second brood)
Monarch (2)
Silver-spotted Skipper (3)
Little Glassywing (1)

At Steep Rock Reservation, where we met BK and Peary Stafford, we  found

Cabbage White (3)
Orange Sulphur (1)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (1)
Great Spangled Fritillary (10)
Silver bordered Fritillary (7+) (An apparent new colony at the scout camp;
most individuals were seen nectaring on Rudbeckia.)
Eastern Comma (1)
Viceroy (3)
Little Wood-Satyr (4) (very fresh; second brood)
Common Wood Nymph (5) (my first of the year)
Monarch (2)
Silver-spotted Skipper (1)
European Skipper (10)
Peck's Skipper (1)