Just over the border...Hessels?

Joe Stichter joestichter at comcast.net
Wed May 11 09:30:19 EDT 2011

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Sharon Stichter" <sharonstichter2 at comcast.net>
To: "MassLep" <MassLep at googlegroups.com>
Cc: mariaaa at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:18:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MassLep] CT List info...Hessels?

Roger Pease, a student of Remington at Yale, discovered Hessel's Hairstreak
in the Wilbraham Bog in 1982. His account of how he discovered it can be
read in the Fall 2005 (No. 25) issue of the MBC journal Massachusetts
Butterflies, available at
http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/back-issues.asp  .

Roger reports taking specimens and depositing them in the Yale Peabody
Museum, but a search of the museum's on-line catalog does not turn up these
specimens.  The only Yale Massachusetts specimens are 3 from Dover; and the
only Harvard MCZ specimens are those from Westwood taken by William D.
Winter in the 1980s. The Mass. Natural Heritage database does not include a
report from Wilbraham or anywhere else in the Connecticut River valley. The
NHESP database, the MAS Atlas data, and the Mass Butterfly Club sight
records 1992-present show Hessel's Hairstreak only from eastern and
southeastern Massachusetts locations.

Thus, the 1982 report from Wilbraham really does need confirmation, and it
is good news that the local Conservation Commission is organising a "hunt"
for it. Anyone who can attend and help with identification should try to do
so!

Sharon Stichter
www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net