Butterflies on the Move

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 6 21:48:18 EDT 2011

I spent the last two days watching migrants on the coast, first Connecticut
and then Long Island. The butterfly migration looked more impressive on Long
Island (maybe because the hawks were more impressive in Connecticut
(Lighthouse Pt.) and demanding my focus). On Long Island, the Monarch
migration has suddenly gone from bleak looking to quite the opposite.
Question Marks were on the move in good numbers today and Mourning Cloaks
were noticeable. Very few Red Admirals so far, though.

A couple of notes on predation on butterflies. I watched a Yellow-billed
Cuckoo at Fire Island catch and apparently eat (we thought distasteful)
Monarchs. And don't Eastern Phoebes have an eye for Orange Sulphurs?

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY