[Ctleps-l] Derby Little Yellows+

pjdegennaro at aol.com pjdegennaro at aol.com
Tue Aug 21 23:02:17 EDT 2012

8/21 - Before scouting Osbornedale State Park for Saturday's field trip, my father and I stopped at my grandfather's (who's one of the people who got me into nature stuff) grave at St. Peter's Cemetery in Derby (off Rte 34). Just before leaving, I walked about 100ft down the road and found 2 male and 1 female LITTLE YELLOWS on the sandy embankment among ragweed. Lots of the host plant too.
Here's a photo of a male: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/7835246356/in/photostream/

And here's the female: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/7835221620/in/photostream/

At the buddleias near the Kellogg Center at Osbornedale, I had:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 1
Cabbage White many
hairstreak sp 1 (probably Red-banded)
Great Spangled Frit 2
Painted Lady 50+
Red Admiral 2
Common Buckeye 1
Monarch 10
Silver-spotted Skipper 7
Wild Indigo Duskywing 3
Fiery Skipper 3
Peck's Skipper 1
Tawny-edged Skipper 5
Northern Broken Dash 1
Sachem 15 (some mating as well)
Zabulon Skipper 1

And a quick check of the fields across the road:

Spicebush Swallowtail 2
Cabbage White many
Clouded Sulphur 5
Orange Sulphur many
Red-banded Hairstreak 2
hairstreak sp 1
G S Frit 1
Painted Lady 1
Monarch 5-10
Wild Indigo Duskywing 2
Least Skipper 1
Fiery Skipper 1-2
Tawny-edged Skipper 1
Sachem 5

Also, 11 Painted Ladies and 1-3 Red-banded Hairstreaks among many other common species in my yard today.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck