[Ctleps-l] CBA Field Trip at Osbornedale State Park - Long-tailed Skipper+

pjdegennaro at aol.com pjdegennaro at aol.com
Sat Aug 25 18:21:52 EDT 2012

8/25/12 - Here's today's list for the CBA trip to Osbornedale State Park in Derby today:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 1
Spicebush Swallowtail 3
Cabbage White 5
Clouded Sulphur 1
Orange Sulphur 2
Red-banded Hairstreak 3
Summer Azure 1
Great Spangled Fritillary 2
Eastern Comma 1
American Lady 1
Painted Lady 20-30
Common Buckeye 1
Monarch 5
Silver-spotted Skipper 5
LONG-TAILED SKIPPER 1
Wild Indigo Duskywing 5
Common Sootywing 1
Fiery Skipper 2
Tawny-edged Skipper 2
LONG DASH 1
Sachem 25
Zabulon Skipper 2

22 species in all

Most of the activity was centered around the 15 or so buddleias near the Kellogg Center. I spotted the L-t Skipper within the first 5 minutes of the walk; it didn't hang around long. My best two record photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/7859580942/in/photostream

and here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/7859607104/in/photostream/

I was also able to get a record shot of the Long Dash that Lenny Brown spotted: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/7859631326/in/photostream/

I know the second brood for Long Dash is fairly common in eastern Connecticut, but it is known to occur in western CT?

Afterwards Lenny B, Bill Van Loan, my father, and I headed over to St. Peter's Cemetery in Derby to see the Little Yellow colony. We had 4 Little Yellows, 2 Gray Hairstreaks, and 3 Eastern Tailed Blues.

And there was a Fiery Skipper in my yard when I got back home.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck