vanessa in lilacs

butterflypr at comcast.net butterflypr at comcast.net
Sun May 6 17:34:39 EDT 2012

Gardening in the yard this afternoon, noticed some activity around the lilac bush. Naturally the batteries in both cameras were dead, but there were quite a few American Ladies (my FOY) and Red Admirals. The most that I ever saw actually on the bush at one time was four of each, but there were more flying around the yard. The Ladies seemed particularly interested in the dirt I was digging up to plant annuals. Also saw my FOY skipper, but one of the vanessa sp. chased it away before I could ID. My impression was that it was plain light brown, no markings noted. Also saw one duskywing sp. (hoping Lenny will help me ID), and my FOY Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, flying high in an oak tree. And one Cabbage White.

Diane
in Chester