[Ctleps-l] Fwd: Helping a Monarch Migrate

Roy Zartarian royz at royzartarian.com
Fri Nov 2 18:55:28 EDT 2012

Passing this along

Roy Zartarian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: maraleen manos-jones <mmjbutterfly at hvc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Subject: Helping a Monarch Migrate
To: Maraleen <mmjbutterfly at hvc.rr.com>

Dear Friends:

My heart goes out to all affected by hurricane Sandy - NYC is my home town
and she is hurting as are so many in the surrounding areas.

My job as Butterfly Woman is to lift spirits and with that in mind I want
to share :

*The Further Adventures of Butterfly Woman or  **Helping a Monarch Migrate*

We are all inundated so to speak with negative news and a big election, but

to lift the spirits, please read:

   * **Helping a Monarch Migrate*****

Southwest Airlines is helping Maraleen Manos-Jones, Butterfly Woman of
Shokan, N.Y., to fly a monarch butterfly from Albany Airport to San Antonio
Texas on Monday, November 5th.****

Maraleen has been raising and releasing monarch butterflies for forty years
 and has extensive gardens dedicated to them in Shokan. In the midst of a
patch of goldenrod, she noticed a large caterpillar hanging upside down on
September 21st. The next day, the first day of autumn, the caterpillar
formed its chrysalis. Most adult monarchs had already left on their long
journey to Mexico weeks before.****

Not only was the caterpillar late, but it stayed in its chrysalis for one
month instead of the usual two weeks, emerging on October 20th.  Amazingly,
it was a perfectly formed large brilliantly colored monarch since often the
longer time in chrysalis results in deformed wings.  Living in a net
enclosure in Maraleen’s home, the butterfly uncurls her proboscis as soon
as she alights on Maraleen’s hand; the two have bonded.****

If the butterfly were released here in the Northeast, she would perish
because of the cold, butterflies cannot fly when the temperature is under
55 degrees, the lack of nectar sources and, of course, from the effects of
hurricane Sandy.****

Southwest Airlines to the rescue.  They are going to fly Maraleen and her
butterfly to San Antonio where the monarch can join her brethren to
complete their journey to the mountains of Michoacan. Many arrive on
November 1st, but the monarchs continue streaming in through the beginning
of December and they all stay till early spring when they mate and then
begin the long journey north.  Although one generation migrates south, it
takes two or three generations to complete the northern migration.****

The USDA is issuing a special permit so that Maraleen can transport the
monarch across state lines without going to jail.****

There will be a ceremony to release the monarch at the San Antonio
Botanical Garden at 3:30 p.m.  Monika Maeckle, a butterfly evangelist and
conservationist, will be on hand to assist.  ****

** **For further information please contact Maraleen:
mmjbutterfly at hvc.rr.com or call 845-657-8073 and please visit her website:
www.spiritofbutterflies.com  or contact Monika: butterflybeat at gmail.com or
call 210-860-0741. and visit her website: www.texasbutterflyranch.com

****