[Ctleps-l] Monarch activity

Giantonio, Jennifer UTCHQ Jennifer.Giantonio at utc.com
Wed Sep 26 13:28:28 EDT 2012

There have been about 4 large and fresh Monarchs in the yard today, nectaring on butterfly bushes. I'm wondering what did the butterflies nectar on before the advent of buddleia? My bushes seem to account for over 90% of butterfly nectaring activity, regardless of the numerous plants on the butterfly plant list I have here in my yard.

We greatly enjoyed the Migration Festival this past Sunday at Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven. The kids were funny to watch as they ran about trying to catch the Monarchs in their nets. Besides the butterfly garden, there was a constant light stream of the butterflies moving south while we were on the beach, too.

Jennifer Giantonio
jennifer.giantonio at utc.com