[Ctleps-l] Reminder - two field trips with CBA this weekend

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Fri Aug 23 17:45:29 EDT 2013

Saturday August 24, 10 AM
Jared Eliot Preserve, a Guilford Land Trust
Property and Chaffinch Island Park, Guilford
Leader: Lenny Brown 203-949-9024
These locations promise to produce a variety of
species. We hope to find Hackberry Emperor,
American Snout, and southern species that may be
moving through the area at this time of year. Be
prepared to walk through an uncut meadow
(possibly wet) and protect yourself from
mosquitoes. Wear long pants as there are a lot of
brambles in the preserve.
Directions: From I-95 take exit 58 and travel south
on Rte 77. Follow Rte 77 to Rte 146and go west on
Rte 146. After approx. 1-2 miles turn left on
Mulberry Point Rd. Meet atthe intersection of
Mulberry Point Rd. and Mulberry Farms Rd.

Sunday, Aug 25, 10 AM
Osbornedale State Park, Derby
Leader: Peter DeGennaro 203-598-8577
We will explore Osbornedale's meadows for late
season swallowtails, hairstreaks, skippers, and other
butterflies. With the Housatonic River bringing in
butterflies from the coast, the park can become a
great inland trap for vagrants. The hackberry trees
in the park could produce American Snout and both
emperors, and the estate's buddleias enter full
bloom this time of year. Easy, mowed walking trails
but bring water and sunscreen.
Directions: from Route 8 take exit 15, at end of
ramp, turn left onto Main St. (Rte. 34). Continue
West on Rte. 34 for about 1.5 miles. Then take a
right onto Lakeview Terrace (there is a road sign for
Kellogg Center/Osbornedale State Park at the
corner). Continue to stop sign at the end of the road;
turn left at stop sign and immediately another left
into parking lot. Meet in parking lot.