[Ctleps-l] Monarchs today

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Wed Sep 25 21:16:18 EDT 2013

Carol and I went to Lighthouse Point Park this afternoon to tag some Monarchs.  Only found 2 that we could tag, 1 F and 1 M.  A third Monarch was pretty chewed up.  I think it was the same butterfly that was hanging around on Sunday.  Not having any luck at LHPP we went to Hammonasset Beach SP/Meigs Point to see what we could find and do a little birding.  At the garden behind the nature center we had a good number of Monarchs and between 4:55 and 5:30 we tagged 13, 4 F and 9 M.  After 5:30 the Monarchs that were arriving at the garden went to roost in the Black Pines near the picnic tables.  We will go back Thursday and try to tag more as they come off their night roost and begin to feed before leaving on their journey to MX.  We are hoping there will be a good number of Monarchs moving thru in the next week or two.