[Ctleps-l] Leps from Sunday and Monday - West Rock, Szegda, Naugatuck, Kent, Canaan - Hollenbeck

Joan Hill jhill003 at charter.net
Mon Jul 7 21:24:20 EDT 2014

Had a nice trip to PA to see the Regal Frits at Fort Indiangap. The
population there is estimated at 1800, and the butterfly weed there drew
them in for easy looks.  Looks like the efforts to establish new
populations at other likely sites in PA  are not going to be successful
though - fire seems to be a critical element and not all locations - ie
Gettysburg Nat. Battlefield and similar areas- are willing to do
prescribed burns. At the Fort exploding ordnance does the job for them.
     On the way home Sunday stopped at West Rock for a half hour ca 3 PM,
Highlights - 1 hoary edge, 1 banded hairstreak, 1 Edwards, several
Mourning Cloaks
  Columbia: Szegda Farm - 5 PM   2 striped hairstreaks, 2 banded
hairstreaks, 2 Eastern Comma, 27     GSF.  Very little other than GSF on
the 1000+ common milkweeds there.
     At home - 5 banded hairstreaks dog-fighting at the edge of my yard

Monday:
Raytkwich Rd, Naugatuck: 7 banded, 1 possible Hickory, 2 Acadian
hairstreaks - probably could have seen more if the darned Silver Spotted
Skippers would stop attacking everything that tried to land on THEIR
dogbane.
Kent: 4 Northern Metalmark
Hollenbeck Preserve, Canaan:
1 eastern Tiger Swallowtail
2 Mourning Cloaks
1 Viceroy
13 Eyed Browns
17 Baltimore Checkerspots
4 Dion Skippers
2 Black Dash
least skippers, crossline skippers

Lost my binoculars at Hollenbeck - should anyone happen on them, I'd
love to get them back - Pentax Papilio.

Joan Hill