[Ctleps-l] Naugatuck - Edwards' and Oak Hairstreaks

Peter De Gennaro degennap at bc.edu
Mon Jul 7 23:02:48 EDT 2014

7/7 - I visited the western section of the Naugatuck Industrial Park after
work today, where Ray Simpson reported Edwards' Hairstreaks recently. There
were 1-3 Edwards' Hairstreaks dog fighting and landing on Japanese knotweed
in the pipeline cut. Best butterfly was an OAK HAIRSTREAK on milkweed in
the field on the top of the hill. Record shot:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/connecticutpete/14621337343/

With Edwards' and Oak checked off, Juniper Hairstreak is the only
hairstreak possible that I haven't seen yet in the park. The area with the
Oak and Edwards' is known as Great Hill. Easiest access is off of Great
Hill Road, but there is a large no trespassing sign there. I walked up the
cut from below off of Sheridan Drive, but there is little to no trail from
this side. The habitat is spot on for Oak Hairstreak - a field with stands
of milkweed, yarrow, and thistle with lots of oaks around. Very similar to
Great Blue Hill in MA; the pipeline cut even mimics the ski slope.

Other butterflies included Banded Hairstreaks, Eastern Tailed Blue,
American Lady, Little Wood Satyr, Common Wood Nymph, and many Little
Glassywings.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck