[Ctleps-l] Canaan 7-12

Raymond Simpson raymond.simpson at yale.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:22:45 EDT 2014

Hey all,

Went for my weekend trip upstate to see what was flying in the mountains.
 My targets were hairstreaks, skippers, Baltimores, and the metalmark.  I
walked the entire length of the RR track from the beginning of Sand Road in
Canaan to Page Rd. and the Hollenbeck Preserve.  That hike wasn't kind on
my feet, but was kind on the leps.

Spoiler alert:  there are no Northern Metalmarks here despite the vicinity
of the quarries and the numerous Black-eyed Susans and favorable open dry
habitat.  If the host was there, it wasn't flowering anymore.  I mistook
another yellow aster for the host, but it was not it.

Black Swallowtail - 1 female
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur
Banded Hairstreak - 3
Summer Azure - 2
ETB
Great Spangled Fritillary - lots (no Aphrodites seen)
Meadow Fritillary - 3 (ran frantically after these thinking they were B.
selene)
Pearl Crescent - 2 (given the metalmark, glad these weren't all over faking
me out)
Baltimore Checkerspot (3 separate colonies, Hollenbeck had 20+)
Eastern Comma
American Lady - 1
Red Admiral - 1
Viceroy - 3
Monarch - 1
Eyed Brown - 20+ (at Hollenbeck only)
Little Wood Satyr - 4
Common Wood Nymph
SSS
Least Skipper
Northern Broken-dash
Little Glassywing
Delaware Skipper - 8+
Mulberry Wing - 20+ (all along Sand Road on milkweed, vetch, and thistle)
Broadwinged Skipper - 6+
Dion Skipper - 8+ (on thistle near hayfield and near old train cars)
Black Dash - 30+ (all over perched in grass, and nectaring on milkweed and
thistle)
Dun Skipper - 2

Also went up to north Jersey with my friend and saw pretty much the same
list of species (minus the hairstreak and Dun Skipper) with a few additions:
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 1
Orange Sulphur - 3
Mourning Cloak - 1
Tawny Emperor - 1
Northern Pearly-eye - 4+
Horace's Duskywing - 1 fresh male
Wild Indigo Duskywing - 1

Saw 2 Monarchs there, 5 Dions, several Baltimores.  Went to two Metalmark
localities and found NOTHING.

Also NO hairstreaks in Jersey, what's up wit that?

Ray Simpson