[Ctleps-l] Pine Elfin (NJ)

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 7 21:46:42 EDT 2014

Back to the late date theme of a couple of weeks ago, I came across an
Eastern Pine Elfin in the Delaware Water Gap of northern New Jersey today.
My only previous June record is from the more expected Adirondacks. Also got
about 10 Pepper-and-salt Skippers in High Point State Park. I also kept my
eyes open for Tiger Swallowtails, in hopes of acquainting myself better with
the "Appalachian" brand. I only was able to photograph one - on an island in
the Delaware River, not among the highest elevations in the area - but I see
some differences from most of my pictures. Maybe just individual variation,
but I'll have look into it some more.

This was actually a dragonfly trip - which is why one would end up on an
island in the river. Great stuff in that area. Highlights included Stygian
Shadowdragon, Swift River Cruiser, Septima's Clubtail (pending ID of a
difficult female), Mustached Clubtail, and more Spine-crowned Clubtails than
I've seen in one day.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY