[Ctleps-l] question on Milkweed plants

Donna sunny19682 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 18:08:36 EDT 2014

Hi all

I work in a middle school in my home town and have an after school group called "Green Scene".  With our mission to collect recyclable bottles and cans, I am also working to foster connections with the natural environment.  With the current low numbers of monarch butterflies on account of several factors including loss of host plants, I had a question regarding the purchase and planting of milkweed plants.  An organization in Florida "Live Monarch" is selling seeds of northern and southern milkweeds.  I investigated the northern variety Asclepias speciosia or Showy Milkweed and it does not appear in the CT Wildflower Association's listing of native varieties of milkweed.  Would it matter in planting this variety of milkweed or would it be best to obtain varieties common to Connecticut?  Live Monarch is offering large quantities of seeds that might be good if I can obtain enough interest from the student body.

Thank you in advance.

Donna Lorello
Branford