[Ctleps-l] Dwarf Pine Barrens

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Sun May 25 21:02:37 EDT 2014

Kind of ironic to see the N.E. Buck Moth post today. I spent some time butterflying in the Dwarf Pine Barrens today, the premier location on Long Island for Buck Moth, the sister species alluded to by Dave. Even though this in New York, there is some interesting stuff that I want to share (and at least Lenny might be interested in news from the old stomping grounds). I was driving by the site on my way back from the day’s primary activity of photographing shorebirds. In particular, I was hoping to find a breeding plumaged Black-bellied Plover dumb enough to let me get close. Anyway, it occurred to me that it was prime time for Dusted Skipper, and I hadn’t checked on this population in many years. So I stopped off and was pleased to find them still there (saw about 5). Beyond that, the stop off was way more productive than I would have expected on May 25. Brown Elfins and Sleepy Duskywings were still flying in double digit numbers. May 25, is about my late date for these species on Long Island, typically done by pulling out one or two. Sleepy Duskywing in June, anyone. Might be possible this year. A number of Cobweb Skippers were also a treat.

A more planned stop off was the Eastport Grasslands. Being somewhat in the area, I did want to take the opportunity to see Frosted Elfins. That I did, but the count of 5 was not impressive. This population feeds on Wild Indigo, so predictably I saw a few W.I. Duskywings in the process. 5 Northern and 1 Southern Cloudywing were notable among the other butterflies seen. This is the other location where I had seen Dusted Skippers on Long Island in the past, but none today (nor Cobwebs).

Since I mentioned it, did I find any dumb plovers? Let’s just say that photographing butterflies was way more frustrating today. You wouldn’t think it should be that way. I think I just developed a hatred for Sleepy Duskywings. At least, I did get one of the Dusted Skippers nicely. I don’t update the butterfly page of my web site ( http://www.stevewalternature.com/ ) often, but this one is worthy if you care to look.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY