[Ctleps-l] Butterfly sightings

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 07:31:35 EDT 2014

On Saturday, September 27th, I visited Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven
and found 11 species of butterflies.  The list for the day was as  follows:

Black Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (15)
Clouded Sulphur (5)
Orange Sulphur (20)
Red-banded Hairstreak (1) (very worn)
American Lady (8)
Painted Lady (2)
Red Admiral (1)
Monarch (1)
Wild Indigo Duskywing (1)
Sachem (12)

I was very surprised by the total absence of Fiery Skippers.  In
September, they're usually commonly found at coastal localities like this  site.

I close with an interesting extralimital report.

A Milbert's Tortoiseshell was found in Nassau County (Long Island, NY) on
September 27th.  We should be on the lookout for this species in CT.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford