[Ctleps-l] CBA field trip - Osbornedale State Park

Peter De Gennaro degennap at bc.edu
Sun Aug 30 20:34:28 EDT 2015

8/29 - There were 17 participants on Saturday's CBA walk at Osbornedale
State Park in Derby. Very dry out in the fields; most of the ironweed has
finished blooming.

17 species for the trip:

Black Swallowtail 1
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 1
Spicebush Swallowtail 1
Cabbage White 5
Clouded Sulphur 10
Orange Sulphur 1
Gray Hairstreak 1
Red-banded Hairstreak 2
Eastern Tailed Blue 1
Great Spangled Fritillary 10-15
Pearl Crescent 3
Red Admiral 1
Silver-spotted Skipper 3
Wild Indigo Duskywing 4
Peck's Skipper 1
Tawny-edged Skipper 1
Zabulon Skipper 1

Afterwards, a few of us went to check on the Red-banded Hairstreak spot
near the parking lot. There was more shade there than earlier in the trip;
we had two of them including one that was willing to land on us:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_connecticutpete_20829116500_&d=AwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wPbNkt6T_H4X7m_PlvSFCGU2a9-csNvfRK2IVMi-mp0&m=jxM7e-kvOybTwZ9uN1fOC6oGh5CsWzd6wNBqfmWlNgE&s=haU56Bb3nOep4N4-tXhhdGGlFrgAMefXLvvxxEukV7c&e=

We also had an Eastern Comma on buddleia at the Kellogg Center.

When I got home, I had a Red Admiral and a Monarch in the yard.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck