[Ctleps-l] Steep Rock today

Peary Stafford pearydstafford at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:56:31 EDT 2015

On a single transect of the prime habitat along the Shepaug River this
morning I encountered an even dozen West Virginia Whites.  I can't say for
sure they were all different individuals, but I'm reasonably sure that 8-9
were.
Does anyone know if this species is subject to irruptive behavior?  I
remember a similar situation with Milbert's Tortoiseshells about ten years
ago when we saw more than a dozen in a day.  Haven't seen any since.
Also had 1 Pine Elfin, 2 Juvenal's Duskywings, 1 Mourning Cloak, 1 Tiger
Swallowtail 1 Red Admiral and 1 Cabbage White.
Add a dozen species of Spring Wildflowers and 45 birds plus a Barn Owl
calling in the back yard last night and it was a pretty good 24 hours.
What a great time of year!
Peary