[Ctleps-l] Butterfly sightings

Lenny Brown epmanshell at gmail.com
Sun May 31 07:40:22 EDT 2015

On Saturday, May 30th, I visited the Mad River Flood Control Area in
Winchester where I found a total of 17 species of butterflies.  The list
for the day is as follows:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (2)
Clouded Sulphur (3)
Orange Sulphur (1) (My first of the year)
American Copper (1)
Summer Azure (1) (My first of the year)
Pearl Crescent (30)
Red Admiral (1)
Red-spotted Purple (3)
Little Wood-Satyr (15)
Common Ringlet (36)
Juvenal's Duskywing (2)
Indian Skipper (3) (My first of the year)
Peck's Skipper (1)
Tawny-edged Skipper (1)
Hobomok Skipper (1) (My first of the year)
Dusted Skipper (4)

As you can see from the list, while there are a variety of species on the
wing, overall, numbers of individuals are low.

In addition, with the exception of the 2 Juvenal's Duskywings, the species
that emerge in early spring are done for the year.  I'm assuming the low
numbers of individuals and the absence of stragglers is due to the drought.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford