[Ctleps-l] Steep Rock Today

Peary Stafford pearydstafford at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 22:06:33 EDT 2016

So here's my contribution to the firsts of today:
     Scouting for a wildflower walk we are supposed to host on the 7th of
May, I found a bunch of flowers we were hoping to see then in bud or in
bloom today. (Trailing Arbutus, Bloodroot, Round-leaved Violet, Round-lobed
Hepatica, Dentaria).  Made me concerned that we were well ahead plant-wise
but on schedule lep-wise which would create problems for butterflies and
their hosts.
     I ran into our Land Steward and we talked about the question; he
suggested that if species evolved together they would react similarly to
external stimuli like temperature and length of day.  If so, we needn't
worry about a lack of synchronicity between the insect and its host plants.

     Unconvinced, I started back to the truck and what pops up but a West
Virginia White, lover of the nearly-blooming Dentaria. (April 26 is the
first I've had it here before at Steep Rock, but the earliest date in the
state seems to be APRIL 13, 2002 according to an old list I have.)  Seems
my friend was right about plants and animals being in tune with each other!

   One shot attached.
Peary
PS. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on whether warm or cold springs or
summers can get things out of synch between the plants and animals.