[Ctleps-l] Re; Butterfly sightings

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Thu Jul 7 21:17:46 EDT 2016

A couple of thoughts from me.

1)      To what extent is the dearth of Banded Hairstreaks local? In my local park in Queens (Alley Pond Park), I’ve been seeing fair numbers regularly since June 22.  A June 26 trip to a couple of locations near the Hudson River yielded about 18 in all. That’s a far cry from what those site were like last year, but not terrible. Meanwhile, I don’t think anyone has gotten a Banded Hairstreak at  Westchester’s Ward Pound Ridge Reservation this year, a feat that seems impossible if we were trying. A theory that’s been posed for the low numbers of many species this year is that larvae were killed off by cold weather in April. So it might be that local variances in temperatures would have hit some areas harder than others.

2)      If they’re not coming to flowers, does that mean they’re not there? The ones I’ve been getting in Alley Pond Park have been gotten by walking through oak woods and focusing on sunny glades. Often there are several in one sunlit area, doing their whirly thing with each other. Doing the Westchester count the other day, my party did not find any at our usually most reliable milkweed site. Later on, at another location, we found several by looking up at sunlit oak trees.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY