[Ctleps-l] Vermont Leps 6-2

Raymond Simpson raymond.simpson at yale.edu
Fri Jun 3 14:56:47 EDT 2016

Hey all,

Went up to southern Vermont looking for the elusive Erora laeta

Canadian Tiger Swallowtail
Mustard White - 1
Early Hairstreak - 3
Eastern Tailed Blue - 1
Spring Azure - very worn females (lots of Viburnum here)
Cherry Gall Azure - fresher, violacea females (lots of cherry so probably
these)
Silverbordered Fritillary - 2 possible flybys (larger and brighter orange
than Pearls)
Pearl Crescent - 4
Question Mark - 1  (dark form)
American Lady - 1
Common Ringlet - 6+
Juvenal's Duskywing - 2 fresh males
Dreamy Duskywing - 1
Hobomok Skipper - 6+
Pepper & Salt Skipper - 6+
small skipper - 1 (Pecks most likely as didn't get close enough and only
saw top)

Surprised to not see Arctic Skipper, Dusted Skipper, Hesperia, Harris
Checkerspot, or many nymphalid.

Odes:  Collected a spiketail with doubled spots on the abdomen and a very
small gomphiid like a Pygmy Clubtail.  Lots of Whitetails of all ages.  Saw
other bigger spiketails but the spotted ones and not the banded.  Also saw
some yellow striped odes with clubbed tails that are probably River
Cruisers (Macromia).

Tiger Beetles:  Saw many sexguttata and a small colony of duodecimguttata

Moths:  The best night collecting of my life!  Things were spilling in even
after I turned off the MV light and had only the blacklight on.  Notables
were too many to name but:
Cecropia Moth: 2 (MY FIRST :) )
Luna Moth - 2
Polyphemus Moth - 4
Waved Sphinx - 2
Poanias myops - 2
Sphinx sp (Wild Cherry?) - 2
Rosy Maple Moth - 50+
Black-rimmed Prominent - 1
Green Moths (two emeralds, Comstock's Sallow, Leuconycta, Green Marvel)
Oval-based Prominent - 5
Furcula borealis - 2

I'm done.  Now for the CT bioblitz tonite.

Ray Simpson