[Ctleps-l] Eastern Pine Elfin (NY)

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 9 21:33:11 EDT 2017

I actually tried for butterflies today, as opposed to the chance fly by. That was done at one of the closest pine –scrub oak habitats to me on Long Island. Apparently, I was rushing it a bit. I did manage to find one Eastern Pine Elfin – but nothing else. It’s got to be the first time, at least on Long Island, that I’ve seen Pine Ellfin, but no Juvenal’s Duskywings. What’s really hard to fathom is no azures. For comparison, I got all three species (Northern Azure, to be specific on the azure) and Eastern Tailed blue at the same site on April 8. 2012. Granted that was a warm early spring. But it doesn’t seem that it’s been that cold this year that azures wouldn’t be out yet. I have a theory that in late years, azures, at least lucia and luciamarginata forms, tend to be more heavily marked. That might be something to look for later this month.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY