[Ctleps-l] Hessel's Hairstreak - new location in CT

Peter DeGennaro degennap at gmail.com
Tue May 23 23:49:39 EDT 2017

5/21 - I visited an Atlantic white cedar swamp in eastern CT where I found
a HESSEL'S HAIRSTREAK taking nectar from leafy spurge:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_connecticutpete_34724521951&d=DwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wPbNkt6T_H4X7m_PlvSFCGU2a9-csNvfRK2IVMi-mp0&m=9wm1pjMGYxTnsnFYCeWtrCW9ugtfeHbIWQJzZwY749k&s=stpO2KnYOdPj-QCOtj3DCydtXppqpiWAhdzAq7Rde8A&e=

 As I understand it, Hessel's has never been recorded from this location,
despite prior searches. I believe they are known from three other swamps in
CT. Not much else was flying there besides an Eastern Pine Elfin.

I also visited the barrens at Mansfield Hollow Dam. The highlight was a
single Sleepy Duskywing, which appears to be the same individual
photographed by Patrick Comins the day before:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_connecticutpete_33991719274_&d=DwIBaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wPbNkt6T_H4X7m_PlvSFCGU2a9-csNvfRK2IVMi-mp0&m=9wm1pjMGYxTnsnFYCeWtrCW9ugtfeHbIWQJzZwY749k&s=SlCbMSMak_pMV4jaf1FT6T8av-CFxxfg4csqAf7JazM&e=

My list is similar to the species numbers/variety from the CBA trip:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 3
Spicebush Swallowtail 1
Orange Sulphur 4
American Copper 20
Frosted Elfin 25
Gray Hairstreak 12
Eastern Tailed Blue 4
Pearl Crescent 2
American Lady 3
Red Admiral 1
Dreamy Duskywing 2
Sleepy Duskywing 1
Juvenal's Duskywing 3
Duskywing sp 1 - dorsal view looked decent for Horace's but never got a
look at the ventral side
Wild Indigo Duskywing 1
Cobweb Skipper 10
Dusted Skipper 1

Deer browsing of the low bush blueberry stands no doubt contributed to
lower numbers of duskywings seen.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck