[Ctleps-l] NY Notes of Interest

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 4 16:18:05 EDT 2017

I'll slip in some notes from New York, as I think they may be of regional
interest.

I came across a fresh Red-banded Hairstreak today in Alley Pond Park in
Queens County. This is my first October record in the north. My previous
late date was September 23. That was a worn individual, as would be
expected. They do fly all year in Florida, and I guess are programmed to
keep coming out if it's warm enough.

Also at this site today was a Common Checkered-Skipper. I'll  give that
second billing, as I have found a couple before in this area.

On September 27, I came across my latest ever Dun Skipper, around Little
Alley Pond. A small second brood has been recorded in isolated locations in
New York and Connecticut. However, it's been years since I had one in
Queens. This one was fairly fresh, too. So perhaps that indicates a vagrant
from somewhere to the south. The day before at the same site I came across a
Summer Azure. This one was expectedly worn, and seems to be the latest one
in my records. More exciting at that same site on those two days - for those
with an interest in dragonflies - was a Blue-faced Meadowhawk. I believe
this is the northernmost record of this species. A picture of this beauty
can be seen at my web site https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__stevewalternature.com_&d=DwICAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=DxSBJXRvd7MQp-AlXAtLeydve7SiywLWLcinsn9EdPE&m=XcwR2SZs0dDZOgtUd8utn9ZYJRczoOX3PrTTfdvfkDM&s=ghwLFL6QlAwQVm2ymQk9TkcmnuTwXmcqQFdIpWYhc1k&e=  (click the
Dragonflies tab).

Finally a note on Lady sp. From what I'm seeing everywhere on Long Island,
the vast majority now are Painted Lady. And they are everywhere. No doubt,
the offspring from the summer invasion. The only Nymphalid migration now is
southbound. Red Admirals and Question Marks have started moving along the
coast, and Monarchs have been doing so in impressive fashion.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY