[Ctleps-l] Butterfly sightings-Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven

Lenny Brown epmanshell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 10:01:48 EDT 2017

Saturday, October 8th- I took advantage of the warm sunny weather and
visited the park where I was able to find the following:

Cabbage White (2)
Clouded Sulphur (1)
Cloudless Sulphur (1)
Painted Lady (1)
Common Buckeye (10)
Monarch (40+)
Fiery Skipper (1)

The total absence of Orange Sulphurs was a surprise.  I suspect it was
attributable to the drought conditions at the park and the absence of
nectar plants on account of mowing.

Speaking of nectar plants, I observe that if it is possible to plant either
Partridge Pea or Wild Senna at the butterfly gardens at Lighthouse Point
Park and Stratford Point, we may be able to encourage the Sleepy Oranges
who apparently passed through the state on their way to RI to stay here in
CT... something to think about.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford