[EAS]2001 Turing Award

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Thu Feb 7 14:10:41 EST 2002

Mail*Link¨ SMTP               2001 Turing Award

Dear Colleagues -

This from Gary Chapman, whose syndicated column "Digital Nation" in
the Los Angeles Times was cut by them last July because of 'financial
constraints'. It had been well-received technical commentary whose
decline parallels the general US decline in thoughtful writing about
science and technology. By thoughtful I mean observations about
effects and cost/benefit tradeoffs.

All best,  --PJK

--------------------------------------
Date: 2/7/02 10:16 AM
From: gary.chapman at mail.utexas.edu
Please feel free to pass on this message:

Dear friends,

I'm happy to pass on the news that the 2001 Turing Award, the highest
award in computer science, has been awarded to Johan Dahl and Kristen
Nygaard of Norway, for their invention of object-oriented
programming, the most widely used programming paradigm in the world
today.

The formal citation of the award is on the Web at
http://www.acm.org/announcements/turing_2001.html. The Association
for Computing Machinery will present the A.M. Turing Award, its most
prestigious technical honor, at the annual ACM Awards Banquet on
April 27, 2002, at the University of Toronto in Canada.

It has been my privilege and honor to serve on the selection
committee for the Turing Award, in a group of five people, and I am
particularly pleased by this year's award. Congratulations, Kristen!

Best to all,

-- Gary

Gary Chapman
LBJ School of Public Affairs