[EAS]Barbie the engineer?

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Sat Nov 16 16:31:26 EST 2002

Subject:   Barbie the engineer?

Dear Colleagues -

A recent item on the Yale Libraries list brought to my attention
that Mattel has started an "I Can Be" series of Barbie dolls. The
first two are Doctor and Art Teacher. Currently you can vote at
<http://www.barbie.com/parents/products/products_icanbe2.asp> for
three choices for Barbie's next career: librarian, architect,
policewoman. [Caution: the Web site's pink to cerise color scheme is
safer on an empty stomach.]

The votes so far, to be found at
<http://www.barbie.com/parents/products/products_icanbe_poll_results.asp>  are from _parents_ 84%, 8%  and 6% respectively,
   and from _kids_ 46%, 23% and 31% respectively.
I guess in the age of "Google.com librarianship," kids are less sure
of who a librarian is.

Since there is no write-in opportunity for engineer, shall we start
an email campaign for "engineer"? I've sent in my suggestion at
<http://www.service.mattel.com/us/feedback/feedback.asp> By the way,
don't use "Idea" in the Subjet pull-down, as Mattel has a policy
against outside submission of ideas.

Maybe a tiny step toward getting more women into engineering. [And
maybe the percentages on the Mattel Web surveys would add up to 100%
more consistently.]

All best, --PJK