[EAS] What Matters Now?

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Tue May 4 22:09:39 EDT 2004

Subject:   What Matters Now?

Dear Colleagues -

Regular readers of EAS-INFO
<http://jove.eng.yale.edu/mailman/listinfo/eas-info> will recall
that I often cited material by Phil Agre
<http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/index.html> at UCLA, a person
of unusually wide-ranging interests relevant to this list.  At least
weekly I would get mailings from Phil's RRE list
<http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/rre.html>.

Then nothing pretty much all last fall and early 2004. Then he wrote
on 3/24/04:

> RRE is ten years old.  I stopped sending out these links because a
> bunch of issues all got stale at once.  Like okay, you've probably
> got it about Enron, and Microsoft, and cyberspace, and conservative
> jargon, etc.  So what matters now?  We'll have to figure that out.

Something of an intellectual "mid-life crisis," one might say. If
only more of us thought that deeply in our age of "Whatever else you
do, don't stop talking. If you do, you'll cease to exist."

He sent some URLs that deal with issues at "the intersection of
information technology and more permanent things." All are
interesting, many strike me as important, and I reproduce them
below.

So, I would like to mirror in our EAS-INFO list Phil Agre's quest
for "What Matters?"  After all, EAS-INFO is about eight years old.
What matters most to you?

Please send me your thoughts at <peter.kindlmann at yale.edu>.

Don't put it off while waiting for that tranquil moment of
contemplation when you can give me a profound answer. In my
experience, life is seldom that kind. Rather, send me something
shorter sooner.

Thanks, and all best,  --PJK