[EAS] New Burgess Shale?

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Wed Jun 23 16:33:00 EDT 2004

Subject:   New Burgess Shale?

You've been getting some heavy reading from me. I thought you could
use some light relief.  --PJK

(from INNOVATION, 23 June 2004)

SURF'S UP, INTEL-STYLE
Here's the ultimate blend of endless summer and digital chic -- a
surfboard that houses a laptop, solar panels, a video camera and a
Wi-Fi hookup. The prototype board was commissioned by Intel and
will debut at the Intel GoldCoast Oceanfest, demoed by
international pro surfer Duncan Scott. "As a professional surfer,
explorer, writer, film producer and world traveler, being able to
communicate quickly and effectively is critical to my success. In
the near future, via wireless real-time streaming, it could be
possible that observers will, for the first time, actually be able
to 'ride' a wave with the best surfers in the world," says Scott,
who assisted in the board's design. (BBC News 18 Jun 2004)

Isn't it great how the functionally evolved identity of everybody
and everything is being 'disassembled' into its component DNA (very
popular metaphor, that), and then reassembled into all kinds of
strange and wonderful new forms? Will it look to some future
paleontologist of technology like the wondrous fossils of the
Burgess Shale, made so popular by the late great Stephen Jay Gould?
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/039330700X/> and
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/156098659X/>.

    --PJK