[EAS] Nosey Chips

Peter J. Kindlmann pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Tue Oct 25 17:52:56 EDT 2005

Amidst today's technology, our privacy's "vapor pressure" keeps
increasing, and is evaporating ever more quickly. Even when you think
you've put a freeze on the process, there are slower forms of
sublimation still. Here, alas, are just two recent reminders:

My friend and Yale colleague Nathan Price points me to "a short but
interesting article about the potential abuses of RFID chips, and a
new book that takes a dim view of it all:"

<http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2005/10/10/you_need_not_be_paranoid_to_fear_rfid?mode=PF>

He and I tend to side with the alarmists. And this randomly
encountered item "Is Your Printer Spying on You?"
<http://www.askbobrankin.com/is_your_printer_spying_on_you.html>
reminds us of other privacy concerns, intended or unintended.

    --PJK