[EAS] Disease Risk Calculator

Peter J. Kindlmann pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Wed Nov 8 18:40:36 EST 2006

(from INNOVATION, 8 November 2006)

PERSONALIZED DISEASE RISK CALCULATIONS AND WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT
      Everyone worries about future health problems, but here's a site
that provides personalized predictions of your risk for disease and
what you can do to mitigate it. The Harvard Center for Cancer
Prevention's <http://www.yourdiseaserisk.com> site provides a series
of questionnaires that visitors can fill out online to find their
individual risk quotient for a specific disease and the factors that
contribute to it. "We started this because people didn't appear to
understand how much of cancer or other diseases can be prevented with
changes of lifestyle," says Center director Graham Colditz. Diseases
you can calculate risk for include 12 different types of cancer, as
well as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and osteoporosis. (Wall
Street Journal 31 Oct 2006)
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116225793407508406.html>