[EAS] Voting Systems

Peter J. Kindlmann peter.kindlmann at yale.edu
Thu Aug 5 01:04:21 EDT 2010

Dear Friends and Colleagues -

[Don't flip out because you got 3 mailings in a row. This is only the 12th in
all of 2010, that's less than two per month. There will be long pauses again.]

Last week's issue of the New Yorker has a very good piece on the intricate pros
and cons of voting systems. You'll see that it's not easy to implement this
facet of democracy, but then nothing about democracy is ever easy.  Voting is a
far more complex procedure than most people suspect, and our present highly
polarized politics doesn't help. I found the article a fascinating education of
all this.

See if this link works for you
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2010/07/26/100726crbo_books_gottlie
b?printable=true>

If not, the text follows below, but you'll have to put up with some funny
formatting.

      --PJK