[Insightl] New Visual Collections Portal Launches with 300,000 Images

Anna Miller annamiller at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 3 16:55:18 EDT 2004

David Rumsey and Cartography Associates announce the launch of Visual
Collections www.davidrumsey.com/collections/, a new digital image collection
portal that includes more than 300,000 works from museums, universities and
private collections throughout the world.  Combined, the collected works
create an unparalleled online resource in the arts and humanities that is
available for free, public access.

As a member of the Insight community, we would like to encourage you to
visit the site and consider the importance of sharing these collections with
the general public and other members of the Insight community. Thanks to
several Insight licensees we currently have around 30 collections listed and
divided into different categories. This is just the beginning, there is no
limit to the amount of collections we can- and wish- to list.

Other than being in the Insight software there are no limitations to what
types of collections would be a welcome addition to the site. There are
collections with thousands of images, and collections with fewer than 50
images. Most collections allow users to access the full image resolution
size, while some allow for the thumbnail and zoom level 2 only. All
collections are equally important to the site.

At the upcoming Luna Insight User Group Meeting in June 24-25, David Rumsey
will be leading a discussion on the subject of collection sharing. We
encourage you to visit this new site, attend the discussion and pass this
information on to any and all that may have collections to share or a
passion for viewing beautiful images.

Please feel free to contact Cartography Associates directly at 415-626-1939,
or by email at carto at luna-img.com for more information on this site or about
contributing a collection.

Thank you.

--