[Insightl] ArtSTOR interoperability

David Lower dlower at emory.edu
Mon Aug 2 12:34:56 EDT 2004

Thank you, Stephen, for raising dialogue about using both Insight and
ARTstor.  I might offer an even stronger differentiation between your choice
#2, which is the way ARTstor positioned itself in sales presentations until
this year, and #'s 3 and 5, which are what I might put in the category of
"almost, but not quite bearable".

I agree with Susan, that the user experience must be considered as primary.
Though there may be some nifty political or contractual maneuvering that
could be done to find some compromise alternative, anything short of a
single access point for digital media (in Insight) will only confuse and
discourage use of the technology.

The context as we see it is this: many faculty here at Emory have been happy
and comfortable using slides, so any digital alternative to traditional
methods must offer real benefits that outweigh the cost/labor of transition.
In my opinion, learning two different software systems makes this cost too
great (not to mention the licensing costs!) for any benefit to justify it.

Please let us know how we can participate in some form of community action
on this matter.

David Lower
Emory ITD