first modern U.S. Telea Hairstreak record in over 90 years !?!

Mike Quinn entomike at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 20:54:48 EDT 2007

Berry,

Your record is apparently the first modern U.S. Telea Hairstreak -
Chlorostrymon telea record in over 90 years...

TEXAS: Starr Co.
Falcon State Park
8 - x - 2007, photo
shot by Berry Nall
http://leps.thenalls.net

It's listed in Klots (1951) on page 140 as Strymon maesites telea
Hewitson for Laredo in June. This Laredo record from June is
apparently the only U.S. record.

Before Klots, it's listed in Holland's revised 1931 edition of  "The
Butterfly Book" on page 232 as Thecla telea Hewitson.

Before that, it's listed in Barnes and McDunnough (1917) as Strymon
telea Hew. on page 13: http://tinyurl.com/2kw3og

Barnes, W. & J. McDunnough. 1917. Check list of the Lepidoptera of
boreal America. Herald Press, Decatur, IL. 392 pp.

However, I don't find it in Holland's 1902 edition: http://tinyurl.com/34br3h
(It's sister species, Thecla simaethis is listed on page 246.)

See also:

Nicolay, S.S. 1980. The genus Chlorostrymon and a new subspecies of C.
simaethis. J. Lep Soc., 34(2): 253-256.
http://research.yale.edu/peabody/jls/htms/1980s/1980-34(2)253-Nicolay.htm
http://research.yale.edu/peabody/jls/pdfs/1980s/1980/1980-34(2)253-Nicolay.pdf

Mike Quinn, Austin