[Mendele] Mendele Volume 18 number 8

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Sun Aug 24 19:04:18 EDT 2008

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 18.008
August 22, 2008

1) mukte butke (Les Train)
2) Yiddish materials for holidays (Miriam Stein)
3) "Afn veg shteyt a boym" - original lyrics? (Perele Shifer)
4) tsebalevet (Paul Glasser)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  August 6
Subject: mukte butke

re: Matt Hoffman's "mukte bukte," I believe he means Matka Bozha, which is
the Polish pronunciation of "Mother of God," referring of course to Mary,
mother of Jesus. I assume at some point in the passion on the cross Jesus
would have uttered something like this.

Les Train

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 8
Subject: Yiddish materials for holidays

Does anyone have any kind of Yiddish material related to Rosh Hashanah or
Yom Kippur? We need it for a Yiddish club in Skokie, IL.

A sheynem dank,

Miriam Stein

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 6
Subject: "Afn veg shteyt a boym" - original lyrics?

The comedic (?) version that is often sung is apparently not the original,
which was a song about yearning for the redemption. Does anyone have the
original? Thank you.

Perele Shifer

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date: August 7
Subject: tsebalevet

Since there are relatively few Yiddish borrowings of long standing from
Russian, it is more likely that the etymon is Ukrainian "baluvaty."

Moreover, the Yiddish prefix is "tse-" (litvish Yiddish "tsu-"), not
"tser-," although it is certainly cognate with German "zer-." The standard
Yiddish phrase for "spoiled child" is "tsebalevet kind."

Paul Glasser
End of Mendele Vol. 18.008

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail to one of these, as appropriate:

New material, always in plain text--no HTML-- for postings to Mendele
Yiddish literature and language to: mendele at mailman.yale.edu

New material, always in plain text--no HTML-- for Mendele Personal Notices
& Announcements to: victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write
Mendele Personal)

All other messages to the shamosim: mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm