[Mendele] Mendele Volume 18 number 4

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Fri Jul 4 10:24:26 EDT 2008

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 18.004
July 3, 2008

1) etymology of nebekh (Felicitas Payk)
2) kest (Hugh Denman)
3) song lyrics (Leybl Botwinik)
4) Buzi and sof-oyses (Goldie Sigal)
5) sof-oyses (Joel Maxman)
6) scholtechteah? (Joseph Ramek)
7) query about film about Jewish life in Lemberg (Judy Wolfthal)
8) tatele (Rubin Feldstein)
9) copyrights to "Yidishe kultur" (Rosemary Horowitz)
10) tshudak (Deborah Hoffman)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  July 2, 2008
Subject: etymology of nebekh

This question is probably quite simple to answer, but as I have no Harkavy
or Weinreich available, I can't answer it myself: What is the etymology of
nebekh, which is also used in German as nebbich?

Thanks in advance,
Felicitas Payk

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: June 28, 2008
Subject: kest

Eager to experience the thrills of the new all-singing, all-dancing Mendele
Mark 2, I hasten to find a pretext: there has recently been some
speculation not only as to the correct designation of this well- known
custom in traditional Ashkenazic life, but also as to the etymology of the
term itself. In 18.003:8 fraynd Garfinkel writes that, if the word is
Hebrew, she doesn't know the spelling. Actually, we need not look so far.
The origin is clearly to be sought in the Germanic component. In NHG we
still encounter the somewhat antiquated expression 'jemanden in Kost
nehmen' in the sense of being responsible for someone's board. Perish the
thought, of course, that the term should derive from NHG! If we consider
MHG for a moment, we quickly come across 'kestigen' [modern 'bekoestigen']
with the meaning 'to feed'. The problem is essentially that of providing an
explanation for the vowel. That any substantival form of this MHG etymon
should ever have had an umlauted plural which could have resulted in 'e' by
a process of derounding seems highly unlikely. More probable therefore is
some deverbal derivative in which an "entrundet" Umlaut resulted in "e."
But whatever the precise mechanics, the Germanic origin is clear. Where the
Germanic form came from is another story.

Hugh Denman