[Mendele] Mendeke Vol. 18.023

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Thu Apr 2 08:44:53 EDT 2009

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 18.023
March 29, 2009

1) gits arayn (Hershl Hartman)
2) gits arayn (Jan Jonk)
3) gits arayn (Leybl Botwinik)
4) gits arayn (Leybl Goldberg)
5) Or zaruah (Sema Chaimovitz Menora)
6) "oyf der sudenyu" (Murry Woldman)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 9, 2009
Subject:  gits arayn

"gits arayn," as in Zachary Baker's query is, I believe, a dialectal form
(peylish?) for "git
arayn," the imperative form for gebn -- to give.  It is most frequently
heard (read, that is)
in "gits a nedove," ("give me a handout" or, in current parlance, "any
loose change?")
from the mouths of beggars.

Hershl Hartman

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: March 14, 2009

Zachary Baker asks about "gits arayn." In the booklet to the CD "Yiddish
forever"
(Jacqui Sussholz) I found the text:

Getts arayn -
Getts arayn a nekhoumele in a yiddische nekhoumele getts arayn a khayes in
a yied.

And a translation (Hassidic song):
Try to bring solace to a little Jewish man.

A sheynem grus,

Jan Jonk