[Mendele] Mendele Vol. 19.005

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Mon Jun 29 09:38:28 EDT 2009

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 19.005
June 26, 2009

1) oybst/katerinke/makher/kazyoner (Martin Jacobs)
2) khaven (Martin Jacobs)
3) katerinke (Leonard Fox)
4) katerinke (Yelena Shmulenson)
5) kazoyner (Zevi Ghivelder)
6) oybst/katerinke/makher/kazyoner /kyonkash (Zulema Seligsohn)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: June 18, 2009
Subject: oybst/katerinke/makher/kazyoner

1) oybst: this is a Germanized form of "oyps" = "fruit" ("fun tsaytikn
oybst" = "of ripe
fruit")

2) katerinke =barrel-organ; katerintshik = organ-grinder (one who plays
the barrel-organ)

3) makher: as Weinreich says, an influential person, a "fixer." The term
is sometimes used
pejoratively: a self-important person (one who wants the world to know how
important he
is), or an influential person who got there in ways not altogether kosher.

5) kazyoner: a kazyoner rov is an "official" or "state" rabbi (in Russia);
I do not know
how his duties differed from those of other rabbis (see Niborski-Vaisbrot
dictionary.)

Martin Jacobs

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  June 18, 2009
Subject: khaven

Some time ago I asked for the meaning of "khaven," which occurred in a
story in which
sailors "loyfn un khaven" when their ship is torpedoed by a German
submarine during
WW II. Although the text has a khof as the first letter of the word, I now
think the word
meant is "haven," and "khaven" is a misprint (or a variant?). "Haven,"
according to
Weinreich, means "to hustle," so the sailors were "running and hustling,"
first to save the
ship, then to get into the lifeboats.

Martin Jacobs

3)----------------------------------------------------
Date: June 17, 2009
Subject: katerinke

In my last e-mail, I forgot to respond to Frida Cielak's query about the
meaning of
"katerintshik."  It means an "organ grinder"; "katerinka" is the Ukrainian
word for a
barrel organ.

Leonard Fox

4)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  June 16, 2009

In answer to Frieda Cielak's inquiry:

"katerinke" is an barrel-organ, so "katerintshik" is an organ grinder.

Sincerely,

Yelena Shmulenson

5)----------------------------------------------------
Date:  June 17, 2009
Subject: kazyoner

The kazyoner was a distinguished Jew who was able to validate
non-religious documents
and also acted as a judge when there was some dispute among Jews. My
grandfather,
Moishe Ghivelder, was the so called "kazyoner rov" (kazyoner ruf, in the
local
pronunciation) in the shtetl of Britshon, in Bessarabia, around the 20's.

Zevi Ghivelder

6)----------------------------------------------------
Date: June 17, 2009

1.  "Oybst" is fruit.  In the passage it is "seasonal fruits."

2.  A "katerinke" is a street organ.  The "katerintshik" is the
organ-grinder.

3.  A "makher" is a guy who can accomplish whatever is needed, as he
proves in the
passage quoted.

5.  A "kazyoner" is someone who works for the State, or the Crown.  It can
also mean
someone who was educated at the State's or the Crown's expense.

4.  I have no idea about "Kyonkash."

Zulema Seligsohn
End of Mendele Vol. 19.005

Please do not use the "reply" key when writing to Mendele. Instead, direct
your mail as
follows:

Material for Mendele Personal Notices & Announcements, i.e. announcements
of events,
commercial publications, etc., always in plain text (no HTML or the like)
to:

    victor.bers at yale.edu (in the subject line write Mendele Personal)

Material for postings to Mendele Yiddish literature and language, i.e.
inquiries and
comments of a non-commercial or publicity nature:

     mendele at mailman.yale.edu

IMPORTANT:  Please include your full name as you would like it to appear
in your
posting.  No posting will appear without its author's name.
Submissions to regular Mendele should not include personal email
addresses, as

In order to spare the shamosim time and effort, we request that
contributors adhere, when
applicable, as closely as possible to standard English punctuation,
grammar, etc. and to
the YIVO rules of transliteration into Latin letters. A guide to
Romanization can be
found
at this site: http://www.yivoinstitute.org/about/index.php?tid=57&aid=275

All other messages should be sent to the shamosim at this address:
mendele at mailman.yale.edu

Mendele on the web: http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/index.htm

To join or leave the list: