[Mendele] Mendele 18.020

Victor Bers victor.bers at yale.edu
Thu Mar 12 20:07:45 EDT 2009

Mendele: Yiddish literature and language

Contents of Vol. 18.020
March 5, 2009

1) pitseritse (Borukh Katz)
2) pitseritse (Doris Beth)
3) pitseritse (Hershl Hartman)
4) pitseritse (Jack Berger)
5) pitseritse (Meyer Wolf)
6) pitseritse (Noyekh Miller)
7) greenhorn (Borukh Katz)
8) greenhorn (Dina LΘvias)
9) geleymter terk? (Yankl Falk)

1)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 27, 2009
Subject: pitseritse

It seems clear to me, though I've not heard of the expression before, that
the word derives from the Yiddish verb putsn - to clean or shine up - which
has a reflexive form: putsn zikh - to dress up. So a "pitseritse" could be
a woman (hence the ending) who indulges in such behavior to such an extent
that it attracts the descriptive noun. The verb likely comes from the
simpler noun, puts, meaning finery or (says Uriel Weinreich) splendor or
ostentation. Further back than that I cannot, alas, go.

Borukh Katz

2)----------------------------------------------------
Date: February 20, 2009

When we sat outdoors in our immigrant neighborhood, many moons ago, Yiddish
was the language of conversation. A "farpitster, farshmirter yidl "
passing by was referred to as "pitseritsi" along with an adjective I choose
not to mention. My parents emigrated from a shtetl not very far from
Odessa.

Doris Beth

Date: February 20, 2009

My mother, also an Odeser, pronounced it "pitsheritse" to denote a spoiled
young girl who was iberklayberish -- excessively restrictive in her tastes
-- perhaps an Odeser version of the Valley Girl?

Hershl Hartman